Question : Problem: Outgoing VPN Connection Issue

Hi Experts,

We are having a problem establishing an outgoing VPN connection ever since we got a T1 line installed.  Prior to the T1 line, we had a DSL line and were always able to connect to a remote server.  The CSU/DSU for the T1 is remotely managed and the service provider swears there is no problem on the network.

Now, we cannot establish any connection to the remote server.  Our IP address did change with the upgrade, but the admin running the remote server swears that he is not filtering by IP address, so the obvious troubleshooting avenue is closed.  This is borne out because we can take a laptop off our network and connect via a local coffee house wireless connection and hit the VPN just fine.

So the network guy blames the service provider but the service provider is blaming the network guy.  My question is:  has anyone else ever had this problem with VPN and how/who should I be leaning on to get this resolved.

Answer : Problem: Outgoing VPN Connection Issue

I know that you said that the network guy is getting irritated, but I think you need hist help a little bit more to isolate the problem.  Can he see your traffic hitting the VPN server from your internal network when you attempt to connect?  Unfortunately, VPN troubleshooting frequently involves participation from parties at both sides of the tunnel and he'll need to help...

If it's a Cisco router, then he should be able to run some debugs or look at his access lists to see if the traffic is being blocked when coming from your place, etc...I'm not sure what the VPN device is so I don't know all of the potential troubleshooting methods at his disposal...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us