Question : Problem: Laserjet 5550 Default setting

I have a networked laserjet 5550 on one floor that most of the users use. Well lately it has required you to go to the machine and tell it what tray, even though you have told it to use autoselect in printing preferences. When you go to the machine it will say either load tray 1, or hit go for tray 2 or up/down arrow for another tray. We figured out that you have to tell it exactly what tray you want, for example. I have to select "tray 2", & type "plain". then it will print fine, but if any one of them just select print without making sure these printing preferences are selected, it will force them to go to machine and hit the what tray to use button. Then also at same time makes everybody elses print jobs to do the same. I then have to go to the machine and fix the tray settings cause they get kicked back to light. I have sent out instructions on how to avoid this but as you all know the users dont always read and do. I need to fix this. The default paper type seems to kick back to Light even after changing it to plain or unspecified.

Answer : Problem: Laserjet 5550 Default setting

there are different scenarios for this behaviour. Unless you name the exact message at the panel when you print it's guesswork....

- Try setting Tray1 Type to plain and Tray 1 Size to Any (not both to any!)
- Try a cold reset, turn off the device, turn it on and hold the green button until all 3 LED's are permanently lit, release the button "select language" should appear on the panel. Use the up or down button until you see "cold reset" on the panel, then hit the green button again. The printer will automatically restart.
- Try upgrading the firmware. Even if you have the latest firmware already, still do an "upgrade" by redownloading it to the device.
- if it keeps getting set back to papertype light, someone is messing with the device, probably when one re-fills paper the device offers to change the paper type and people think they have to press something instead of just leaving that message until it goes away. With later firmware you should be able to turn this behaviour off.

Cheers
Lex
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us