Question : Problem: HP Storage Works Disk ENclosure Issue

I have a Hp Storage Works Modular Smart Array 30 (might be the earlier 4400 family) with a dual port SCSI module. I attached it to one port of a Smart Array 6400 controller in a Proliant ML 370. Seven of the 14 drives were available so I assumed I needed to attach the second port to get all drives. I installed a second 6400 controller in the server and attached both SCSI ports from it to the enclosure. Now the storage enclosure is not responding at all. The controller shows up, but it sees no drives and during boot up says :Storage enclosure not responding.

I know controller is good, and I have updated controllers and drives with latest firmware. What might I do to troubleshoot this?
Thanks

Answer : Problem: HP Storage Works Disk ENclosure Issue

Reseated the cards at the back?

You could convert it to a 14 disks on single channel shelf rather than one split 7+7 by replacing the SCSI interface with the one that doesn't split the bus in half but that's not going to get past the problem of the shelf not responding.

Perhaps the RIS on the disks that you still see (internal) have been updated to know about the shelf and extra disks and it's that that the message refers to, adding an enclosure plus disks to a smart array controller makes it add knowlege of those extrernal disks to any other disks that are connected to it.

If you remove the extra controller and the enclosure does it still complain on boot?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us