Question : Problem: Floppy drive not accessing disk

Hi
My Floppy drive will not access its disks, from XP Home. In XP, when I click the drive it says 'insert a disk into drive a', and if I try to format one it says 'there is no disk- try again' and gives a little buzz. I have checked the cable seating and orientation, BIOS settings, driver info, replaced both FDD and cable and always the same. I have a CD-bootable DOS, but that calls the CD drive a: and I cannot cd to the real FDD. If I boot holding F8, Floppy is an option (BIOS sees it too) but trying to boot from floppy here gives one little buzz then defaults to HDD normal booting. I do get a flash of its light on startup, but just as XP is launching. I used to get a whizz much earlier in the boot phase.
I am just emerging from an XP nightmare, not quite closed in which I changed the Mobo. If you want a good (but long) laugh, see:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21858914.html#17021594
I am actually suspecting the Mobo, but it is new and given the whole OEM thing in the above link I have any number of paranoid suspicions.
Can any kind person offer any advice?
I have given this one 500 points since it is becoming urgent- read the other post and you will see why I am getting tired!

Answer : Problem: Floppy drive not accessing disk

Closed, 500 points refunded.
Netminder
Site Admin
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us