Question : Problem: low recording level on new mainboard built-in sound input

I've just set up a box specially for sound recording with a new ASUS M2V-MX SE mainboard with the Realtek HD sound module supplied installed.
I've got Windows XP and SP2 installed.
The volume level is at maximum on the Realtek (software) mixer window though the volume levels for recording are greyed out as are the volume levels on the Windows volume control recording window. The microphone input is not muted.
I use Nero Wave Editor for the recordings - I've been doing this for years...
I suspect that I'll need to put a preamp in the line beween the microphone and the input but even with another mike and  talking loud directly into it I get a fairly weak signal on the wave chart.
I'd be interested to hear about other recording programs (I also use Audacity) and - if they exist - software preamps or mixer/amplifiers.
Thanks in advance
Keith

Answer : Problem: low recording level on new mainboard built-in sound input

If you use an external mic preamp for a microphone you must then use the line level or aux input, not the microphone input.

You can't really boost a weak signal that began lilfe as an analogue signal successfully with software, as microphones that go via the sound card need either the analogue preamp in the card or an independant preamp.
But if you use a microphone with a USB connection, then it's a digital microphone and a digital signal and you can deal with that input on the internal software.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us