Question : Problem: Unable to enter BIOS on Gigabyte mobo after flashing

I used Gigabyte's @BIOS utility to update my BIOS from within Vista (updated from version F6 to F11). Twice it stalled at 50% progress and died with the message "Update Failed". Fearful that I had potentially ruined my motherboard, I flashed my BIOS with a backup I had made before (the F6 version). Upon restart, it kept hanging while looking for my drives.

Whenever I press DEL to enter the BIOS I get the message "Prepare to enter setup" but the BIOS interface never appears -- instead it rolls right on to checking for drives then stalls forever after stating "Press F10 to enter RAID setup utility..."

I pressed INSERT during POST to soft reset the CMOS and now I get "Checksum error -- Defaults loaded". But still when I try to enter the BIOS I am told "Prepare to enter setup" but the BIOS screen never appears.

My question (at last) is -- how do I initiate the backup BIOS on the board (it is a dual-BIOS board) if I can't get into the BIOS screen in the first place? Am I well and truly pooched? Have I succeeded in killing my motherboard?

btw: I have replaced the mobo battery with a fresh one, also taken it out for an hour, used jumpers to clear CMOS. Also disconnected all peripherals and unnecessary components, drives, etc. I do not have a floppy drive but can connect one if needed. Keyboard connected properly and being recognized during POST.

Board in question: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI board :: Athlon 64 3700+ :: Award BIOS 6.0

Many thanks for reading this far and my gratitude for any assistance.

Answer : Problem: Unable to enter BIOS on Gigabyte mobo after flashing

contact Gigabyte, they can help, or supply a new bios chip
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us