Question : Problem: BIOS password prompt.  Owner did not set a BIOS password? How to clear/bypass password lock?

This Vaio notebook prompts for a BIOS password at power-on.  Also will not allow BIOS config without password.  The owner did not set a password.  
Is there a way to bypass this prompt?  I have disassembled the top of the notebook and I do not see any mini-dipswitches (maybe on the underside of the mainboard?) ..
There is a 2.4V battery-pak.  Disconnecting this seems to set BIOS defaults however there is still a BIOS prompt for a password.  Any ideas?

--
Zak

Answer : Problem: BIOS password prompt.  Owner did not set a BIOS password? How to clear/bypass password lock?

As nobus noted, this system almost certainly uses a security chip.

The most well-known feature of the security chip -- and one that really frustrate legitimate owners who don't realize how secure this chip is and manage to forget their password --- is that it stores any BIOS passwords you set in a VERY secure manner.

You can set a password to access your PC -- and it will be stored in the chip.   BUT, if you do so, be sure you DO NOT FORGET it.   With the security chip, if you forget your password, there is NO WAY to reset it.   It will require a motherboard replacement !!   Well ... not quite => you can, with the right SMD soldering/desoldering skills replace the security chip.   A replacement security chip for the Sony is available here:  https://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-softsell.cgi?items=1824-525

Note that the security chips are, from a security perspective, a very good thing.   But there are been frequent postings from folks who forgot their passwords hoping to find a way to reset them.  Answer is:  you can't :)

One other note:   It's unfortunately not uncommon for folks to accidentally set a password without realizing it.   I always recommend that if you have a security-chip enabled laptop you SHOULD set a password you won't forget ... even if it's something simple like "password" ... so that you can't ever do it by accident (since you'll then be prompted for the "old" password before you can change it).
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us