Question : Problem: Should I change "USB" hub/ports to "USB 2.0" for new printer?

I'm running Windows 2000 and I have a new Epson Stylus Photo RX500 printer that has "Hi-speed USB 2.0". I have a 2-port USB card in my PC and a 4-port USB Hub, both of which were purchased in November 2001. I think they are plain old USB, not "USB 2.0". In Device Manager, under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", the properties for "USB Printing Support" say "USB2.0 MFP" (in "Location" field). "Generic USB Hub" just says "USB Device". Is there any way for sure to tell if my USB Ports and Hub really are just "plain old USB"?  And if they are, is there any advantage to replacing them with the new "USB 2.0" stuff? I ask because, with my new printer, it just seems to be a long time from when I click "OK" to print to when the printing actually starts ... longer than my previous printer which was an Epson Color Stylus 2500 (about 3-1/2 yrs old).

Answer : Problem: Should I change "USB" hub/ports to "USB 2.0" for new printer?

Hi alicia1234,

Use a tool like AIDA32 (http://www.aida32.hu) to identify the speed of your USB ports.
If they're not USB 2.0 I suggest you to upgrade as it'll give you a great performance boost.

Greetings,

LucF
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us