Question : Problem: Multiple AP in a single WiFi network with one SSID and one WEP key?

Hello,

Verizon installed an Actiontec MI424-WR Wireless Broadband Router in the basement of our house. We live in an old farm house with really thick stone walls. On the west side of the house the wireless works great. On the east side we get a very, very low signal. I ran a CAT5e cable from the router to a Linksys AP on the east side of the house. When our computers try to connect they see two AP, the Actiontec and the Linksys. By default, the PC always tries to connect back to the Actiontec router rather than the Linksys.

Ideally, I would like to know is it possible to buy another Actiontec AP and configure them to work together as a single WiFi network with one SSID and one WEP key? I may even want to buy another AP to place in an upstairs bedroom to increase the signal strength there also. I have been battling the whole WiFi coverage for over a year and I need a professional solution to get a strong WiFi signal throughout this old farm house.

Actiontec's tech support response was:
 "Honestly, no. When doing wireless networking and using an AP, the MI424 wireless SHOULD be disabled so there is no conflict. The same would be true if it was one of our AP's. Only ONE wireless transmitter should be in use in a network at any given time."

Thank you,
-Marty

Answer : Problem: Multiple AP in a single WiFi network with one SSID and one WEP key?

You dont need another Actiontec AP the linksys is fine.

1. Find the id of your Actiontec wireless network. Let's call it Actiontec.
2. Find the channel of the Actiontec wireless network. Probably 6
3. Find the Security authentication Method and Password. Let's call it WPA and actiontec
4. Connect to the Linksys AP and log in to administer it. Change the wireless network name, channel and authentication to be EXACTLY the same as the Actiontec.

BAM by doing this you will be able to roam your house and switch to the strongest AP automatically.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us