Question : Problem: Apple powerbook - display on external monitor alone?

I have an Apple Powerbook G4 from which I have completely detached the LCD screen (which is damaged beyond repair). I plug it into an external monitor, but all that shows on the display is a blue display with curvy lines - no login dialog. The mouse is visible & the HDD is chuntering away, but nothing I do will make anything appear which gives any information or requires user input.

Does the LCD have to be connected to the mobo for the external display to display the 'desktop'? Before detaching the LCD it was possible to see the login dalog on both screens.

I've persuaded the owner that he could continue to use the powerbook with an external monitor alone. Am I wrong? Does the LCd need to be plugged into the mobo?

Please advise ASAP.

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Apple powerbook - display on external monitor alone?

Yes, but there is the possibility that a closed lid would allow the external to operate, hence the lid switch.
Perhaps there is a magnetic switch , try laying the old display on top of the laptop to simulate the closing of the cover. It also seems that the external needs to be plugged in after the laptop is started, then close the display.
The previous guide was for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. This gide is for using a USB keyboard
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us