Question : Problem: After adding ESI's Juli@ sound card  to my onboard realtek card I cannot control the sound from XP or any other software

I 've got a standalone desktop PC with XFX nForce 650i Ultra 1 Motherboard. The nvidia installation routine installed Realtek High Definition Audio Drive, so I'm pretty sure that board has a Realtek onboard Sound Chip. The sound is OK but I need a Sound recording card, so I added the ESI Juli@ HQ 24bit 192kHz Ref. Audio interface and installed the drivers for it. I am running Windows XP SP2 and have all the relevant updates.
I now encounter the following problem:
I cannot control the sound (volume, recording etc) from any software, neither from Windows Volume Control (although I choose Juli@ in the audio playback and recording menu) nor from J Rivers Media Center or Windows Media Center nor the DVD playback sound on Nero Show Time.
The only way to control volume is by using the  'Wave' controller in Windows Volume Control which is not an option.
What could be the underlying problem for this? How can I gain full control over the Recording Card?
to make sure that the problem does not lie with the Juli@ card I installed an external Sound recording combo and I'm having the same problem.
Could be something really simple but I need help !

Answer : Problem: After adding ESI's Juli@ sound card  to my onboard realtek card I cannot control the sound from XP or any other software

I'm stll a bit confused about how you have this hooked up -- but here's one way to get something working.
If you are using the analogue TRS connection there's a very good change that you haven't wired it correctly if you don't have a professional mixer with balanced inputs.
TRS, as you probably know stands for Tip, Ring, Sleeve -- that's the 3 wire connection I talked about.
As you've said, you have powered speakers, and I don't know what the connections are but I can bet you it's an unbalanced 2 wire connection (to Rolands powered amp).
The reason that the TRS on the card is 3 wire (3 connections) is because it's BALANCED. This is a professional connection -- rarely seen on computer cards. And you can't simply connect a BALANCED output to an UNBALANCED input -- you won't get any sound. Either use the RCA output or unbalance the TRS lead. You can't just connect a 2 wire jack plug cable to this output.
First, what is BALANCED?
A balanced signal is two audio signals, one in phase the other out of phase (or hot and cold) -- one on the tip, one on the ring, and the earth is run on the sleeve. This is done to reduce audio noise -- all balanced inputs (the receiving end) have what's called a 'summing amp' -- meaning it looks at the audio signal on both wires and if they're not exactly the same it dumps the difference -- and that's the noise.
And now to the solution: To unbalance any signal you have to tie (connect) one of those wires to earth -- any one, but most people tie the ring connection to the sleeve. And it will then work. Or simply use the RCA cables.
If you get this side working we can have a look at the rest of the problem.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us