Question : Problem: ATI Card will not work in HP Desktop with onboard Intel Graphics, Bios switch does not work!

Hi,

I have been trying to install an ATI x1550 PCI video card in an HP desktop but am having trouble.  Just for background, I have installed about a thousand video cards before..

First off, if I go into the bios and select PCI as the primary video adapter, this does not seem to work.  It continues to boot up with only the onboard video plug working.  Once I am in windows (Vista) the PCI card continues to not work  and if I go into the device manager it tells me that Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43).

I have tried disabling the onboard Intel adapter in the device manager, rebooting but this does not help.  I have tried installing the Intel adapter, but this does not help.  Ive tried all of this with the bios setting in both the PCI and onboard as the primary video adapter.  There does not seem to be a way to disable the primary adapter completely in the bios (could there be a physical pin on the motherboard?)  I have even tried moving the card to a different PCI slot.

And of course I have tried completely uninstalling both the Intel graphics and ATI drivers, rebooting and installing fresh ATI drivers.

Nothing seems to work, any ideas?

Thanks,
Cole

Answer : Problem: ATI Card will not work in HP Desktop with onboard Intel Graphics, Bios switch does not work!

Does it have an open AGP slot as well?

Just for kicks, you can dig up an AGP card and install it and then go through the same processes you did for disabling the on-board video and see if it will work that way.  If it does, that would be a good indicator that either the motherboard doesn't like you PCI card or that it is faulty.

Also, got a spare machine which you could install the PCI card to?  We really need to determine if it's the PCI card that's acting up or if it's your board that doesn't want to talk with it.

Auriclus
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us