Question : Problem: How hot is too hot for the hard drive on a SONY laptop to run

I was working on a client's small SONY tablet computer.   I don't have it here now so I can't tell you the model.
At one point I ran Spinrite to check out the hard drive.  Spinrite kept popping up and telling me that the drive was
running too hot.  I think it was arount 56 degrees C.  Should the client be concerned?  Does the same safe temperature range go for these small notebooks as for desktops or are the hard drives made to run hotter?  I try to get my clients with laptops to use notebook coolers, but all ones I've seen are for larger computers.  Are there any laptop coolers for these small tablet PC'sthat can actually fit on one's lap?
Thanks,
Al

Answer : Problem: How hot is too hot for the hard drive on a SONY laptop to run

I don't know about the brand of drive you have but Seagate recommends a maximum tmperature of 50-55 C for most of their drives. Here is some info for notebook drives.

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,686,00.html

I don't think 56 C is way out of line but is definitely at the high end. I would make sure the client knows that this "laptop" is really meant to be placed on a flat surface (like a desk). If placed on a lap or cloth surface then airflow can be further restricted resulting in even higher temperatures.

I wonder if Sony uses their own batteries in Sony laptops? If so the battery could be more of an issue than the HD.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us