Question : Problem: Ghost 2003 .. drive no longer shows up.

I have  Win 98SE, I put in another hard drive( was assigned D:) for my Norton Ghost last year it has always worked great. I then tried to load in my new external cd-r (Nero 5.05) I did clone my c: prior to this to D:  Things didn't go well so I uninstalled my external drive until I can upgrade to XP home. The problem is my D: for Ghost no longer exists, D: is now my regular cd rom (was assigned E:)  What happened to my back up drive? How can I retrieve it?  Should I just wait until I get on XP home and start all over again from scratch?
Thanks, Leah

Answer : Problem: Ghost 2003 .. drive no longer shows up.

Okay, would really recommend the 'fdisk /status', will let you quickly see whats going on with your disks and partitions.

One more thing, what hardware devices do you have installed on your system? (This is more to do with upgrading to XP from 98SE, rather than the disk problem).

You see, some device drivers don't migrate to XP very well (scanners, sound card drivers, graphics drivers, cameras, printers etc....).

Windows sometimes gets confused and simply uses the 9x versions as they are the only ones available (despite them not being compatible).
This can cause serious stability issues, and it is something you should possibly bear in mind before upgrading.

Get XP compatible drivers for all your hardware before even trying to upgrade. If you are having any stability issues at present I would really recommend installing XP cleanly on a freshly formatted disk - this avoids many problems in the long run!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us